`Pak not acting against 26/11 conspirators`
Washington: Visiting Indian Home Minister P Chidambaram met US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and asked Washington to put pressure on Pakistan to conduct the trial of Mumbai terror attack conspirators, including Lashkar-e-Taiba chief Hafiz Saeed.
"I did brief her on the state of the trial of Ajmal Kasab (the lone captured 26/11 terrorist) in India. I also mentioned about no progress in Pakistan even in respect of the five-six people they have arrested. And that Hafiz Saeed remains a free man," Chidambaram told reporters after the meeting late on Thursday.
The two leaders met at the State Department.
"I think that is enough. I think the US understands the way India has approached the post 26/11 situation and how Pakistan has approached the situation. I think it is enough to draw attention to the difference and leave it there," he said.
He said he told Clinton that Saeed, believed by India to be the mastermind of the Mumbai carnage, is roaming free despite the evidence provided by New Delhi in six dossiers given to Islamabad.
He expressed Indian concern about increasing militant infiltration from Pakistan.
"The numbers (incursion attempts across the border) are now running to about 50-60 a month. A number of people that we apprehend are also very high so our assessment is that the level of infiltration has increased since the month of May 2009.
"Threat emanating from militants operating on Pakistani soil has not diminished. That is our official position. Since the threat level has not diminished. We continue to remain on guard and continue to be on vigil," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO