Pak rejects Menon`s concerns about safety of its N-weapons
Islamabad: Pakistan on Sunday rejected National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon`s concerns about the safety of its nuclear weapons and material, saying it had "impeccable" custodial controls for its strategic arsenal.
"Pakistan is a responsible nuclear weapon state with impeccable credentials and custodial controls of its strategic assets," Foreign Office spokesperson Tehmina Janjua said in response to Menon`s comments.
"We are mindful of our responsibilities in the context of global peace and security and in particular in our larger Asian neighbourhood," she said.
Janjua also noted that "Pakistan has made a sincere gesture in reaching out to India for promoting stability, peace and development in South Asia" and called for a "new mindset" to usher in an "Asian security architecture".
"It is important that all regional states live up to their responsibilities, on the basis of recognised norms and values to promoting an Asian security architecture with an enlightened approach. This requires carefully cultivating a new mindset," she said.
Addressing the Asian Security Conference in New Delhi on Friday, Menon had expressed concern about the "security of nuclear materials and weapons in those same parts of Asia".
Referring to a "growing security deficit" in Asia, Menon said: "There is increasing danger of terrorism spreading from those parts of Asia like Pakistan and Afghanistan, which have not been part of the Asian economic movement."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day