Pak should hand over Saeed to improve ties: BJP
Chandigarh: Until Pakistan hands over LeT
founder Hafiz Saeed to India bitterness in ties between the
two countries cannot end, BJP on Saturday said.
"We favour better India-Pakistan relations, but want the
neighbouring nation to address the core issue of terror that
includes handing over Hafiz Saeed and others responsible for
Mumbai terror attacks," BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain
told a news conference here.
Hussain said Saeed was "enjoying patronage of ISI and
Pakistan Army, and was giving anti-India statements without
"Talk of better relations with India when Pakistan is
extending patronage to a person like Saeed cannot go
hand-in-hand. Pakistan must hand him over to us along with
others whose names figure in the `list of wanted` India has
given to them. We believe till then, bitterness that is there
in our relations cannot end," he said.
On Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari`s one-day visit
to India last week, India had linked the progress in bilateral
ties with Pakistan to taking action against Hafiz Saeed and
others, he said.
Hussain said taking steps to improve trade relations with
Pakistan would no doubt benefit people on the both sides,
"but till the time core issue of terrorism is not addressed,
overall relations cannot become better".
When asked about Sarabjit Singh, Indian prisoner on death
row in Pakistan, Hussain said BJP demands efforts in this
regard at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s level.
If Saeed is handed over and Sarabjit is released by
Pakistan, then it will bring some improvement in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj