Pak troops directly targeting civilian populations: Minister
Jammu: Pakistani troops are directly targeting civilian populations by resorting to heavy shelling and firing at LoC and international border, a Jammu and Kashmir Minister said on Friday.
"The situation is very tense (along Indo-Pak border) -- It is unfortunate that Pakistan is targetting civilian population along the borderline. They are directly hitting at them," PHE and Irrigation Minister Sham Lal Sharma told reporters at GMC hopsital here after meeting the border dwellers injured in the Pakistani shelling.
"It is violation of Human rights and the Geneva agreement," he said.
Replying to a question on the alleged failure of the government to deal with ceasefire violations, Sharma said, "I have talked to Chief Minister that the state government should hold talks with Union Ministers of Home and Defence to check ceasefir violations."
Sharma, senior Congress leader and legislator from Akhnoor Border constituency in Jammu, said that a contigency plan has been put in place for evacuation, rehabilitation and other necessary supports for border people.
He said that people of border areas are being forced to leave their homes due to shelling.
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Pakistan jumps into Kohinoor controversy, says diamond was gifted to England
- Despite complete ban, four die after consuming spurious liquor in Bihar
- JNU teachers claim 'sex racket, use of drugs, alcohol rampant inside campus'
- These 5 apps are quietly eating up your data plan! Know which ones
- Bipasha Basu - Karan Singh Grover wedding: Check out interesting details about mehendi ceremony