Pak troops directly targeting civilian populations: Minister
Jammu: Pakistani troops are directly targeting civilian populations by resorting to heavy shelling and firing at LoC and international border, a Jammu and Kashmir Minister said on Friday.
"The situation is very tense (along Indo-Pak border) -- It is unfortunate that Pakistan is targetting civilian population along the borderline. They are directly hitting at them," PHE and Irrigation Minister Sham Lal Sharma told reporters at GMC hopsital here after meeting the border dwellers injured in the Pakistani shelling.
"It is violation of Human rights and the Geneva agreement," he said.
Replying to a question on the alleged failure of the government to deal with ceasefire violations, Sharma said, "I have talked to Chief Minister that the state government should hold talks with Union Ministers of Home and Defence to check ceasefir violations."
Sharma, senior Congress leader and legislator from Akhnoor Border constituency in Jammu, said that a contigency plan has been put in place for evacuation, rehabilitation and other necessary supports for border people.
He said that people of border areas are being forced to leave their homes due to shelling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Srinagar encounter: Two suspected cop killers gunned down as search-op against militants continues
- Van Gaal sacked by United, Mourinho poised to step in
- Iraq justice ministry announces execution of 22 convicts
- UK grants asylum to Maldives' ex-president Mohamed Nasheed
- North Korean envoy rejects Trump overture to meet leader