Pak troops violate truce again, target Indian positions
Jammu: After a three-day lull, Pakistani troops on Monday violated the ceasefire twice targeting forward Indian posts with small arms fire in two sub-sectors along the LoC in Jammu and Kashmir`s Poonch district.
The Pakistani soldiers opened unprovoked firing on Indian posts in Balakote sub-sector at around 1113 hours and in Mendhar at 1 PM, Defence spokesman S N Acharya said.
The Indian troops fired back effectively, he said adding there was no loss of life or damage to property in the two sub-sectors.
"Violating the ceasefire, Pak troops fired from small arms and automatic weapons on Indian forward posts along the LoC in Mendhar sub-sector," Acharya said.
"They targeted the Indian posts from 1300 hours to 1400 hours drawing strong retaliation from our soldiers," he said.
Earlier, Pakistani troops opened small arms firing on four Indian forward posts in Balakote sub-sector at around 1113 hours.
The two ceasefire violations took place after three days of lull along the LoC.
Guns fell silent after Pakistani troops fired on Indian positions in Pallanwala sub-sector in Jammu district on August 29.
There has been over 80 ceasefire violations by the Pakistani troops from January one this year which is 87 per cent more than the corresponding period last year.
Six jawans were killed in firing by Pakistan troops on forward Indian posts, civilian areas and patrolling parties along border in August this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing