‘Pak unwilling to stop terror against India’
Washington: Pakistan is unlikely to take
strong military action against the terrorists as desired by
the Obama administration because it is not willing to forego
the option of using extremists as "tools" against India after
the US leaves the region, a prominent thinktank said on Saturday.
"The issue is not just one of capability. It is also
about intent and Islamabad’s strategic imperatives," said
Stratfor in its latest news analysis of the region.
The Obama administration is pressing the Pakistan Army to
take strong military action against the terrorists.
"The Pakistanis realise that the United States and its
Western allies aren’t looking at a long-term military
commitment to Afghanistan. Therefore, from Islamabad’s point
of view, it makes no sense to go after those militants
fighting in Afghanistan," it said.
"Doing so would not only exacerbate the insurgency within
its own borders in the short term, it would also create a much
larger cross-border mess for Islamabad to deal with long after
Western forces leave the region," Stratfor said.
"Furthermore, Taliban fighting in Afghanistan are tools
Pakistan can use to roll back Indian influence in Afghanistan,
which has increased significantly in the last eight years.
Therefore, it is highly unlikely that Pakistan will
undertake the kind of action that the United States wants,
because it would be tantamount to national suicide," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!