Pakistan arrests 58 Indian fishermen
Karachi: Pakistan`s maritime security agency on Friday arrested 58 Indian fishermen after they allegedly strayed into the country`s territorial waters.
"Despite several warnings the Indian fishermen remained inside our territorial waters leading to their arrest and seizure of boats," Commander Muhammad Farooq, Maritime Security Agency spokesman, said.
Nine boats belonging to the Indian fishermen were also confiscated, he said.
Last month, Pakistan, in a goodwill gesture, had released 337 Indian fishermen, including eight juveniles, from Karachi`s Malir jail.
The fishermen arrested today will be produced before a magistrate tomorrow and then sent to the Malir jail.
Maritime security officials from both countries frequently arrest poor fishermen who stray into territorial waters in search of better catches because of the absence of a clear demarcation line between the two countries near the Sir Creek point in the Arabian sea.
Human rights bodies and the Pakistan fisherfolk forum have actively campaigned for the release of poor Indian fishermen languishing in Pakistani jails.
At present, according to the forum, there are still 97 Indian fishermen and three other Indian nationals, including a juvenile, languishing in jails in Karachi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read