Pakistan arrests 9 Indian fishermen
Islamabad: Pakistani authorities have arrested nine Indian fishermen and seized five boats on charges of illegally fishing in the country`s waters, officials said on Thursday.
The Indian fishermen were arrested by the Maritime Security Agency on Tuesday as their boats were allegedly 30 km inside Pakistan`s maritime boundary, the officials said.
The fishermen were later handed over to the Docks police station in Karachi and a case was registered against them under the Foreigners Act and the Fishery Act.
Last month, the MSA arrested 57 Indian fishermen on charges of illegally entering the country`s exclusive economic zone.
Following the arrests on Tuesday, the number of Indian fishermen in Pakistani jails is around 150.
The MSA has arrested 277 Indian fishermen and seized 103 boats this year.
On Sunday, Pakistan had released 15 Indian fishermen as a goodwill gesture.
However, the arrested fishermen sometimes languish in jail for months even after completing their prison terms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- 3D model demonstrates how sea waves transport materials within aquatic ecosystems
- Two legends, one pic! Amitabh Bachchan shares memorable moment with father Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- Rohan Bopanna, Leander Paes reach French Open quarters
- Narendra Modi addresses 'Vikas Parv' rally in Karnataka, unveils cooking gas scheme for poor
- Vidya Balan would love to be directed by brother-in-law