Pakistan arrests 9 Indian fishermen
Islamabad: Pakistani authorities have arrested nine Indian fishermen and seized five boats on charges of illegally fishing in the country`s waters, officials said on Thursday.
The Indian fishermen were arrested by the Maritime Security Agency on Tuesday as their boats were allegedly 30 km inside Pakistan`s maritime boundary, the officials said.
The fishermen were later handed over to the Docks police station in Karachi and a case was registered against them under the Foreigners Act and the Fishery Act.
Last month, the MSA arrested 57 Indian fishermen on charges of illegally entering the country`s exclusive economic zone.
Following the arrests on Tuesday, the number of Indian fishermen in Pakistani jails is around 150.
The MSA has arrested 277 Indian fishermen and seized 103 boats this year.
On Sunday, Pakistan had released 15 Indian fishermen as a goodwill gesture.
However, the arrested fishermen sometimes languish in jail for months even after completing their prison terms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof