Pakistan arrests 9 Indian fishermen
Islamabad: Pakistani authorities have arrested nine Indian fishermen and seized five boats on charges of illegally fishing in the country`s waters, officials said on Thursday.
The Indian fishermen were arrested by the Maritime Security Agency on Tuesday as their boats were allegedly 30 km inside Pakistan`s maritime boundary, the officials said.
The fishermen were later handed over to the Docks police station in Karachi and a case was registered against them under the Foreigners Act and the Fishery Act.
Last month, the MSA arrested 57 Indian fishermen on charges of illegally entering the country`s exclusive economic zone.
Following the arrests on Tuesday, the number of Indian fishermen in Pakistani jails is around 150.
The MSA has arrested 277 Indian fishermen and seized 103 boats this year.
On Sunday, Pakistan had released 15 Indian fishermen as a goodwill gesture.
However, the arrested fishermen sometimes languish in jail for months even after completing their prison terms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal