Pakistan arrests 9 Indian fishermen
Islamabad: Pakistani authorities have arrested nine Indian fishermen and seized five boats on charges of illegally fishing in the country`s waters, officials said on Thursday.
The Indian fishermen were arrested by the Maritime Security Agency on Tuesday as their boats were allegedly 30 km inside Pakistan`s maritime boundary, the officials said.
The fishermen were later handed over to the Docks police station in Karachi and a case was registered against them under the Foreigners Act and the Fishery Act.
Last month, the MSA arrested 57 Indian fishermen on charges of illegally entering the country`s exclusive economic zone.
Following the arrests on Tuesday, the number of Indian fishermen in Pakistani jails is around 150.
The MSA has arrested 277 Indian fishermen and seized 103 boats this year.
On Sunday, Pakistan had released 15 Indian fishermen as a goodwill gesture.
However, the arrested fishermen sometimes languish in jail for months even after completing their prison terms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Analysing the murder mystery of Sheena Bora case- Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack