Pakistan cricket tour a national shame: Bal Thacke
Mumbai: Maintaining his strong opposition to the tour by the Pakistani cricket team to India, Shiv Sena on Thursday said it was a matter of "national shame".
"The Pakistan team will be playing matches at Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai and Bengaluru. At one point or the other, Pak terrorists have attacked these cities," Thackeray said.
The feet of Pakistani players won’t be touching Maharashtra but their tour of these cities is a matter of national shame, he said, in an editorial in party mouthpiece "Saamana" here.
Thackeray also flayed BCCI, saying "it was betraying the country for sake of money" and our cricketers were part of the betrayal.
Referring to Pakistan`s role in 26/11 and Parliament attacks, Thackeray said playing against Pak cricketers is an insult to our martyr jawans.
Thackeray also criticised Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, saying he had "offered his services to Pakistan" by giving green signal for the Pak tour to India.
"Except for Kapil Dev and Sunil Gavaskar, no one opposed playing cricket with Pakistan," he said.
The Home Ministry on October 30 had cleared Pakistan cricket team`s tour of India for a limited-over series beginning December 25.
The Raj Thackeray-led MNS has also opposed the Pak cricket tour.
"Raj saheb had already declared that we will not allow any India-Pak match in Maharashtra," MNS MLA Shishir Shinde told a news agency.
In October 1991, Shinde, who was then with Shiv Sena, had dug up the pitch at Wankhede stadium to protest against an India-Pak match which was scheduled to be held there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC