Pakistan cricket tour a national shame: Bal Thacke
Mumbai: Maintaining his strong opposition to the tour by the Pakistani cricket team to India, Shiv Sena on Thursday said it was a matter of "national shame".
"The Pakistan team will be playing matches at Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai and Bengaluru. At one point or the other, Pak terrorists have attacked these cities," Thackeray said.
The feet of Pakistani players won’t be touching Maharashtra but their tour of these cities is a matter of national shame, he said, in an editorial in party mouthpiece "Saamana" here.
Thackeray also flayed BCCI, saying "it was betraying the country for sake of money" and our cricketers were part of the betrayal.
Referring to Pakistan`s role in 26/11 and Parliament attacks, Thackeray said playing against Pak cricketers is an insult to our martyr jawans.
Thackeray also criticised Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, saying he had "offered his services to Pakistan" by giving green signal for the Pak tour to India.
"Except for Kapil Dev and Sunil Gavaskar, no one opposed playing cricket with Pakistan," he said.
The Home Ministry on October 30 had cleared Pakistan cricket team`s tour of India for a limited-over series beginning December 25.
The Raj Thackeray-led MNS has also opposed the Pak cricket tour.
"Raj saheb had already declared that we will not allow any India-Pak match in Maharashtra," MNS MLA Shishir Shinde told a news agency.
In October 1991, Shinde, who was then with Shiv Sena, had dug up the pitch at Wankhede stadium to protest against an India-Pak match which was scheduled to be held there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Turkey discharges generals, shuts media outlets after coup
- Fed leaves rates unchanged but says US economy improving
- French church attackers pledged allegiance to ISIS in video
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region