Pakistan Prime Minister condoles IK Gujral`s death
Islamabad: Condoling the death of former Indian premier IK Gujral, Pakistan Prime Minister Raja Parvez Ashraf has recalled the "admirable role" he played in bringing the two countries closer and said the region had lost a noble and distinguished politician.
"We would like to express our heart-felt condolences to the government and the people of India and members of the grieved family on this sad occasion," said Ashraf in a message to his Indian counterpart Manmohan Singh.
Ashraf described Gujral as a man of extra-ordinary abilities and a visionary leader and said he would be remembered for the "admirable role that he played to bring India and Pakistan closer".
Ashraf said the region has lost "a noble and distinguished politician" in his death.
92-year-old Gujral died in a private hospital in New Delhi yesterday after a multi-organ failure. He was admitted to the hospital on November 19 with a lung infection.
Gujral was born on December 4, 1919 in Jhelum town now in Pakistan, and was educated in Lahore before crossing over to India after partition.
Twice a foreign minister, Gujral authored a foreign policy doctrine called the "Gujral Doctrine" -- a set of principles to guide the conduct of foreign relations with India`s immediate neighbours -- which was widely acclaimed not only in India but also outside.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know