Pakistan repatriates seven Indian prisoners
Attari: Seven Indian nationals, including a woman, who were languishing in Pakistani jails were released by the government there as a mark of goodwill gesture.
All the Indian nationals were freed late last evening from the old land transit route of Attari-Wagah border, said official posted at Attari border.
Released Indians crossed over to India on the basis of `Emergency Travel Certificate` issued by the Indian High Commission based at Islamabad in Pakistan.
Two out of seven Indian nationals, identified as Latiful Haq Vinoo from West Bengal and Miyali Hanif from Gujarat were released from Karachi jail yesterday and sent to Lahore for repatriation after they spent five years in prison on charges of spying.
One woman prisoner, identified as Sita from Maharashtra was arrested for illegal entry in Pakistan, while other repatriates Tarlok Chand from Jallandhar, Raju Babu, Ram Das both from Bihar and Yashpal from Brailey(UP) were also facing spying charges.
They were received at Attari border by the Secretary General of Akhil Bharatiya Human Rights Organisation (ABHRO) HS Tanwar.
Talking to reporters here, Tanwar claimed that Pakistan government released Indian prisoners lodged in a Karachi jail at Landhi and Kot Lakhpatrai jail of Lahore, on the appeal of Ansar Burney Trust International, on humanitarian grounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage
- PM Narendra Modi to share his thoughts in 21st edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' today
- IIFA Awards 2016: Here is the list of winners