Pakistan should focus on combating poverty: BJP president
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party president Nitin Gadkari said that Pakistan should concentrate its energies on combating problems of poverty and infrastructure development, rather that harbouring and fostering terrorists on its soil.
Gadkari was speaking to Mahmud Shaam, the visiting chief group editor of Pakistan`s largest circulated newspaper, Daily Jang, Wednesday evening.
A press release said that Gadkari noted that both South Asian countries were facing acute challenges of poverty and infrastructure development.
But, he added, Pakistan was harbouring terror elements, creating problems for India, as well as for itself.
"It is in the interest of Pakistan to work with India for development and eradication of poverty and spread education instead of providing shelter to terrorist groups," the BJP chief said.
The visiting Pakistani editor said while some extremist groups were fostering terrorism in his country, Pakistanis were also facing trouble due to this.
Shaam said that Pakistan had tried to control extremists in certain areas in Swat. He asserted that the Pakistani people were against terrorists and wanted peace with India, similar to the aspirations of Indian citizens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- On being No. 1 in Tests: We need to do a lot to maintain it, says Pakistan skipper Misbah-ul-Haq
- Reasons why you're having chest pain!
- Madhya Pradesh assembly to consider GST Bill today
- Rohith Vemula suicide case: Hyderabad V-C can't be held responsible, concludes HRD probe panel
- Saradha scam: ED summons P Chidambaram's wife Nalini