Pakistan to release 185 Indian prisoners
Islamabad: Pakistani authorities are set to
release 185 Indian prisoners, a majority of them fishermen, as
part of measures to normalise relations with India, officials
said on Saturday.
The prisoners being released tomorrow include 179
fishermen, and six civilians who were being held in different
jails across Pakistan for offences such as illegally crossing
the border, officials of the Indian High Commission said.
The prisoners will cross over to India via the Wagah land
border tomorrow, the officials told a news agency.
The 179 fishermen and one civilian prisoner were being
held at Landhi Jail in Karachi.
After being released from the prison this morning, they
set off from the southern port city to Lahore in buses.
The Indian High Commission has completed all necessary
documentation and sent officials to Karachi and Lahore to
oversee arrangements for the repatriation of the prisoners.
Pakistani officials said the prisoners were being freed
as a goodwill gesture on the new year.
There are still over 250 Indian fishermen being held in
In recent months, both countries have taken steps to
speed up the release of prisoners who have completed their
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Delhi Assembly passes resolution against MHA notification: As it happened