Pakistan to release four Indian prisoners
Lahore: A federal review board comprising two judges of the Supreme Court has ordered release of four Indian prisoners, who have been languishing in different Pakistani jails on the charges of `illegal stay`.
Dil Bagh Singh, Sunil and two other Indians have completed their terms but they are still languishing in jail.
An Interior Ministry official yesterday informed the board that the government was taking steps to repatriate the prisoners who had completed their sentence.
"Verification of nationality is required for the release of the foreign prisoners. And the process is underway," he said.
Meanwhile, a provincial review board comprising three judges of the Lahore High Court has turned down a Punjab government`s request to extend detention period of a `prime suspect` involved in attack on Sri Lankan cricket team in 2009.
Police yesterday produced Zubair alias Naik Muhammad, before the review board and sought one-month extension in the detention.
Police were of the view that the release of the accused could be a threat to law and order situation in the province.
Counsel of the detainee opposed the government`s request, saying the allegations on his client were baseless.
After hearing both sides, the board declined the government`s request to extend the detention of the accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says