Pakistan to release four Indian prisoners
Lahore: A federal review board comprising two judges of the Supreme Court has ordered release of four Indian prisoners, who have been languishing in different Pakistani jails on the charges of `illegal stay`.
Dil Bagh Singh, Sunil and two other Indians have completed their terms but they are still languishing in jail.
An Interior Ministry official yesterday informed the board that the government was taking steps to repatriate the prisoners who had completed their sentence.
"Verification of nationality is required for the release of the foreign prisoners. And the process is underway," he said.
Meanwhile, a provincial review board comprising three judges of the Lahore High Court has turned down a Punjab government`s request to extend detention period of a `prime suspect` involved in attack on Sri Lankan cricket team in 2009.
Police yesterday produced Zubair alias Naik Muhammad, before the review board and sought one-month extension in the detention.
Police were of the view that the release of the accused could be a threat to law and order situation in the province.
Counsel of the detainee opposed the government`s request, saying the allegations on his client were baseless.
After hearing both sides, the board declined the government`s request to extend the detention of the accused.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know