Pakistan violates ceasefire in Kashmir, three killed
Srinagar: Three villagers, including a pregnant woman, were killed on Tuesday in yet another unprovoked ceasefire violation by Pakistan troops in the Uri sector of the Line of Control (LoC) in north Kashmir`s Baramulla district, a defence officer said.
A defence spokesman here said: "At approximately 1030 hours, Pakistani troops deployed across the LoC opposite the Uri sector started firing heavy calibre weapons on the houses of civilians of Churunda Village, resulting in the death of three civilians. The victims have been identified as 15-year-old Mohammad Liaquat, 32-year-old Mohammad Shafiq and 20-year-old Shaheena.”
"Pakistani troops have been carrying out unprovoked firing since Oct 3 in the Uri sector. Indian troops have been exercising maximum restraint because of the ceasefire agreement that is in place between the two sides," the spokesman said.
"Keeping the safety of the civil population, Indian troops did not retaliate as the same would have escalated the situation resulting in more casualties to innocent people. However, the issue is being taken up on hotline with the Pakistani counterparts to warn their troops not to resort to firing at the villages in future," he added.
Pakistan Rangers guarding the international border in the Jammu region of the state have also violated the ceasefire many times during the last one month.
Two villagers were injured in unprovoked firing across the international border by Pakistan Rangers in Samba district in Jammu region earlier this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly