Pakistan violates ceasefire in Kashmir, three killed
Srinagar: Three villagers, including a pregnant woman, were killed on Tuesday in yet another unprovoked ceasefire violation by Pakistan troops in the Uri sector of the Line of Control (LoC) in north Kashmir`s Baramulla district, a defence officer said.
A defence spokesman here said: "At approximately 1030 hours, Pakistani troops deployed across the LoC opposite the Uri sector started firing heavy calibre weapons on the houses of civilians of Churunda Village, resulting in the death of three civilians. The victims have been identified as 15-year-old Mohammad Liaquat, 32-year-old Mohammad Shafiq and 20-year-old Shaheena.”
"Pakistani troops have been carrying out unprovoked firing since Oct 3 in the Uri sector. Indian troops have been exercising maximum restraint because of the ceasefire agreement that is in place between the two sides," the spokesman said.
"Keeping the safety of the civil population, Indian troops did not retaliate as the same would have escalated the situation resulting in more casualties to innocent people. However, the issue is being taken up on hotline with the Pakistani counterparts to warn their troops not to resort to firing at the villages in future," he added.
Pakistan Rangers guarding the international border in the Jammu region of the state have also violated the ceasefire many times during the last one month.
Two villagers were injured in unprovoked firing across the international border by Pakistan Rangers in Samba district in Jammu region earlier this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’