Pakistan visit dependent on 26/11 probe, PM tells Malik
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh told Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik Saturday that his visit to the country was dependent on the progress in bringing to book those responsible for the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack.
"People ask me about Bombay (Mumbai)," Malik quoted the prime minister as saying when asked when he would visit Pakistan, an invitation that was renewed Saturday.
Malik told reporters after the meeting that the prime minister spoke about the need for progress in the Pakistani probe into the Nov 26-29, 2008 Mumbai terror attack that claimed 166 lives.
Malik told the Prime Minister that the people of his native Chakwal district in what is now Paksitani Punjab were eager to meet him.
He said the Indian prime minister enjoyed respect globally.
"If he (Manmohan Singh) does not come, people will be disappointed," Malik said earlier in the day.
Manmohan Singh was born in Gah village in Chakwal in Punjab.
Malik, who arrived Friday on a three-day visit to the country, said he explained to the prime minister the steps taken to bring to book those involved in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.
Sources in the Prime Minister`s Office described the meeting as a courtesy call and said it was very short.
They said Manmohan Singh thanked Malik for extending him the invitation of Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari to visit his country.
They said a substantial part of Malik`s visit to India was aimed at meeting Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and operationalising the liberalised visa agreement.
Malik, who met Shinde Friday and National Security Advisor Shiv Shankar Menon Saturday, said he had good meetings with both the Indian leaders.
Overall, very good meetings, very effective message...Whatever trust deficit was there, it was removed, he said.
He credited both Zardari and Manmohan Singh for giving a push to boost people-to-people ties between two countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday