Pakistan wants Sanaullah back for treatment
Zee Media Bureau
Islamabad: Pakistan on Friday asked the Indian government to send a Pakistani prisoner back home for treatment shortly after he slipped into coma following an attack on him by a fellow prisoner in the high security Kot Bhalwal Jail in Jammu & Kashmir.
The demand from Pakistan came shortly after it was reported that Sanaullah, a resident of Sialkot, was attacked by former Indian Army soldier Vinod Kumar, convicted for murder, following an altercation on this morning.
The Pakistani prisoner received serious head injuries and was first taken to the Government Medical College Hospital in Jammu, where doctors said he had slipped into a coma, much like Sarabjit Singh who was attacked in a Lahore jail April 26 and died on Thursday.
He is being airlifted to Chandigarh for further treatment.
India termed the attack as "regrettable" and said "the matter is being investigated and guilty will be punished."
"Injured Pakistani prisoner Sanaullah Ranjay being airlifted for medical treatment to Chandigarh," MEA spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said in a tweet.
Jail sources said Sanaullah had been in the Kot Bhalwal Jail for the last 17 years. He has been booked in eight cases, including murder, and been given life imprisonment in two.
Vinod Kumar belongs to Uttarakhand and has been in Kot Bhalwal for six years. He is undergoing life imprisonment for murdering his colleague in Leh.
According to sources, both were brought to the jail grounds today as was routine. "They were all talking to each other when all of sudden some altercation took place between the two and Vinod Kumar hit Sanaullah on the head."
Officials are trying ascertain whether Sanaullah was attacked with bricks or a shovel handle.
The state administration has tightened security in all the 14 jails in Jammu and Kashmir where about 80 Pakistani prisoners are lodged.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena