Pakistan wants Sanaullah back for treatment
Zee Media Bureau
Islamabad: Pakistan on Friday asked the Indian government to send a Pakistani prisoner back home for treatment shortly after he slipped into coma following an attack on him by a fellow prisoner in the high security Kot Bhalwal Jail in Jammu & Kashmir.
The demand from Pakistan came shortly after it was reported that Sanaullah, a resident of Sialkot, was attacked by former Indian Army soldier Vinod Kumar, convicted for murder, following an altercation on this morning.
The Pakistani prisoner received serious head injuries and was first taken to the Government Medical College Hospital in Jammu, where doctors said he had slipped into a coma, much like Sarabjit Singh who was attacked in a Lahore jail April 26 and died on Thursday.
He is being airlifted to Chandigarh for further treatment.
India termed the attack as "regrettable" and said "the matter is being investigated and guilty will be punished."
"Injured Pakistani prisoner Sanaullah Ranjay being airlifted for medical treatment to Chandigarh," MEA spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said in a tweet.
Jail sources said Sanaullah had been in the Kot Bhalwal Jail for the last 17 years. He has been booked in eight cases, including murder, and been given life imprisonment in two.
Vinod Kumar belongs to Uttarakhand and has been in Kot Bhalwal for six years. He is undergoing life imprisonment for murdering his colleague in Leh.
According to sources, both were brought to the jail grounds today as was routine. "They were all talking to each other when all of sudden some altercation took place between the two and Vinod Kumar hit Sanaullah on the head."
Officials are trying ascertain whether Sanaullah was attacked with bricks or a shovel handle.
The state administration has tightened security in all the 14 jails in Jammu and Kashmir where about 80 Pakistani prisoners are lodged.
With IANS inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket