Pakistani soldier handed over by Indian Army
Jammu: A Pakistani soldier, who had crossed over to this side of the Line of Control (LoC) in Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir, was today handed over to Pakistan by the Indian Army.
The custody of 19-year-old Arif Ali was transferred to the Pakistan Army at a flag meeting along the LoC in Chakan-Da-Bagh Crossing Point in Poonch district at 1010 hours.
"We have repatriated the jawan back to Pakistani authorities as a goodwill gesture today," Brigade Commander Poonch Brigade, Brig M K Magoo, told reporters in Poonch.
The meeting was attended by Major Hamid Gul of 653 Mujahid Regiment from Pakistan and Major A Manhas on this side.
During questioning, the soldier claimed that he was mentally disturbed when he crossed over to the Indian side, Magoo said.
Ali, who is part of Pakistani Army`s 25 Frontier Force (FF), and is posted at Saifullah along the LoC in PoK, was arrested in Kerni forward area in Poonch district by Indian troops yesterday.
He is a resident of Quetta in Pakistan and had reportedly crossed to the Indian side for a girl in Kerni village, which is located on the Zero line opposite to Pakistani posts.
In October 2011, Pakistan had allowed an Indian helicopter that had strayed across from Kargil to return to India within four hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30