Pakistani team to question Mumbai attack witnesses
Islamabad: A Pakistani eight-member delegation will visit India next week to cross-examine the witnesses in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack, a media report said Sunday.
The delegation will comprise Pakistani prosecution and defence lawyers, the Dawn newspaper reported citing a Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) prosecutor.
Mohammad Azhar Chaudhry, FIA`s special prosecutor, said the Indian government had issued a schedule for recording statements and cross-examining the four witnesses - RV Sawant Waghule, the person who recorded the confessional statement of Ajmal Kasab, chief investigation officer Ramesh Mahale, and Ganesh Dhunraj and Chintaman Mohite, the doctors who carried out the post-mortem examination of the terrorists killed during the attack.
The Indian authorities had asked the Pakistani delegation to reach Mumbai by Sep 5-6, but due to non-availability of flights it has been decided that the panel would leave Sep 7, the Dawn report said.
The Pakistani panel will comprise lead defence counsel Khawaja Haris Ahmed, Riaz Akram Cheema, Khizer Hayat, Raja Ehsanullah Satti, FIA special prosecutor Chaudhry Mohammad Azhar, Syed Husnain Abuzar Pirzada, FIA deputy director Faqir Mohammad and court official Abdul Hameed.
Riaz Cheema, one of the defence counsel, said the cross-examination of the Indian witnesses would help the Pakistani authorities to investigate the seven Pakistani suspects who had allegedly facilitated the Mumbai attack.
He also said the panel would return to Pakistan by Sep 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'