Pakistani troops fire into India for over an hour in J&K
Jammu: Pakistani troops fired at an Indian border post in the Krishna Ghati sector of Poonch district for over an hour Monday night, an army officer said here. There were no casualties.
The Pakistani troops from Kaddu post fired at Kranti post on the Indian side, the officer said, adding that the firing was unprovoked. "They fired with machine guns and rockets for over an hour on our position," a brigadier general of the Indian Army`s 16 Corps said Tuesday.
Pointing out that this was yet another violation of the November 2003 ceasefire agreement between the two countries, the officer said the Indian side retaliated to the firing.
He added that the Indian side was yet to ascertain the reason for the firing which could be "cover fire to infiltrators or some other reason. But the matter shall be taken up with Pakistan in a serious way".
Infiltration attempts from Pakistan and firing across the border have been on the rise in recent months. The Border Security Force (BSF) has foiled about a dozen infiltration attempts this year near Jammu.
Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of BSF J.B. Sangwan said that the infiltration focus from the border near Jammu "signifies that militants were planning strikes in and around Jammu. We are on alert to foil such attempts."
Security forces are anyway on high alert in the run-up to Republic Day, with additional deployment at vulnerable places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened