Pakistani woman issued Voter ID in Rajasthan
Bikaner: An elderly Pakistani woman, staying
in a village here on a long-term visa, has managed to get her
name included in the country`s voters` list leaving officials
Alabasai, married to a local, has been residing in KJD
village in Khajuwala sub-division since 1986 but has not been
granted Indian citizenship so far.
However, her name was included in the voters` list in
2008 and when police discovered her origin during a routine
review, the district administration was alerted and her voter
ID was cancelled last month.
"We received a letter from the Home Department last month
mentioning that Alabasai has been issued a voter ID and her
name exists in the voters` list. It is against rules as she is
a Pakistani national," Sub-Divisional Officer Nisar Khan said
On receiving the letter, the district administration
issued a notice to the woman seeking her explanation.
"She said in her reply that she had applied for a voter
ID as she was married here and has been staying in the village
for years," said Khan.
"As she is not an Indian citizen, we ordered the
cancellation of her voter ID on October 25, 2011 and informed
senior authorities," he said.
Sources in the district administration said efforts were
being made to identify more such cases, if any, in the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs