Pakistani woman issued Voter ID in Rajasthan
Bikaner: An elderly Pakistani woman, staying
in a village here on a long-term visa, has managed to get her
name included in the country`s voters` list leaving officials
Alabasai, married to a local, has been residing in KJD
village in Khajuwala sub-division since 1986 but has not been
granted Indian citizenship so far.
However, her name was included in the voters` list in
2008 and when police discovered her origin during a routine
review, the district administration was alerted and her voter
ID was cancelled last month.
"We received a letter from the Home Department last month
mentioning that Alabasai has been issued a voter ID and her
name exists in the voters` list. It is against rules as she is
a Pakistani national," Sub-Divisional Officer Nisar Khan said
On receiving the letter, the district administration
issued a notice to the woman seeking her explanation.
"She said in her reply that she had applied for a voter
ID as she was married here and has been staying in the village
for years," said Khan.
"As she is not an Indian citizen, we ordered the
cancellation of her voter ID on October 25, 2011 and informed
senior authorities," he said.
Sources in the district administration said efforts were
being made to identify more such cases, if any, in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Gold price hits 2-week low on US rate hike prospects
- Envy at workplace may hamper your productivity
- Sent email to the wrong person? Know how to recall email on Gmail's Undo Send feature
- Shabir Choudhry rejects UN Secy Gen's letter to Pak PM as ''unimpressive''
- When MP CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan got 'lift' from cops during visit to flood-hit areas; image goes viral - Pic inside