Pakistan`s snub to moderate separatists in Kashmir
New Delhi: Apparently trying to dabble in
internal rivalry in the Hurriyat, Pakistan has invited
hardline leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani as the `Chairman` of the
amalgam along with six other Kashmiri separatist leaders for a
meeting in Islamabad later this month.
Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi has sent
an invitation to seven Kashmiri separatist leaders including
Geelani,a hardline leader; Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, a moderate;
President Kashmir Bar Council Mian Abdul Qayyum, Shabir Shah,
JKLF Chief Yaseen Malik, firebrand woman separatist leader
Aasiya Andrabi and Shia leader Aga Syed Hassan, according to
Hurriyat sources today.
Surprisingly, Geelani has been referred to as `Chairman`
of Hurriyat Conference--a major point of difference between
the Mirwaiz and Geelani factions, in a virtual snub by
Pakistan to moderate separatists who consider the Mirwaiz as
the Chairman of the secessionist outfit.
Ironically, Pakistan chose to invite Shah and Andrabi
despite the former being in jail for his alleged involvement
of anti-national activities and the latter eluding the police
in connection with her alleged role in spreading enmity.
Prominent leaders like Abdul Gani Bhat and Bilal
Lone have not been invited.
The Mirwaiz was out of the country in Jeddah to perform
Umrah (mini Haj) and no one from the Geelani camp was willing
to comment on the developments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof