Pak`s Harpoon modification poses danger: Mehta
New Delhi: With the US accusing Pakistan of
illegally modifying Harpoon missiles, which could be used to
strike Indian targets, Navy Chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta on Monday
said New Delhi had been pointing to the "danger of
proliferation" on several occasions.
This shows the "danger of proliferation and we have been
telling this from time to time," Admiral Mehta told reporters
soon after handing over the baton to his successor Admiral
Nirmal Verma here.
"This has nothing to do with (Pakistan`s) self defence
and it is against Indian interest," Mehta said.
He, however, said "Harpoon cannot be changed too much and
Pakistan will need some time to do the alteration on the
missile to strike land targets."
Referring to Indo-Russian BrahMos joint missile venture,
Mehta said it was first developed as a land attack cruise
missile and now it is being modified as a ship-based weapon.
Admiral Verma, who was asked about the US charge against
Pakistan about Harpoon modification, said the Navy`s
endeavour would be to ensure nobody came within the striking
distance of India and launch such missiles.
"Our endeavour during maritime operations is to ensure
that no body comes within a (striking) distance and launches
such missiles," he said.
On whether India was concerned over Pakistan modifying
Harpoons, Admiral Verma said, "We should have confidence in
our armed forces. They are equipped, trained and have tactics
to counter any threat."
Referring to the maritime capabilities perspective plan
of the Navy, he said, "Threats will be there. We have to take
care of them and counter them."
On Admiral Mehta`s comments regarding India not capable
of matching China force-by-force, Verma said it was one way of
looking at force level of the two countries.
However, he said, Mehta has already clarified his
"What we should look at is our capability. Whatever we
have is to counter the threats and take care of our maritime
interest. We have to be capable of countering the threats," he
Referring to the increasing Chinese presence in the
Indian Ocean, the new Navy Chief said every country has the
right to pursue its interest in international waters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!