Pallam Raju reviews Kashmir security
Jammu: Minister of State for Defence M.M. Pallam Raju Wednesday held a meeting at the Indian Army`s Northern Command headquarters to review the security situation in Jammu and Kashmir, an official source said.
"The rakshya rajya mantri (minister of state for defence) was briefed about the prevailing security situation both along the Line of Control (LoC) and the hinterland," the source said, adding: "It was important security meeting in the wake of fresh challenges being anticipated during summer."
The summer of 2010 had been particularly volatile with over 100 people killed in firing by the security forces at stone-pelting demonstrators.
The review began with a meeting between Raju and the Northern Command command chief, Lt. Gen. K.T. Parnaik, at Udhampur, 66 kilometers north of Jammu. This was followed by a meeting with other senior officers of the command.
The meeting also took stock of the steps in place to prevent the infiltration of militants from Pakistan across the LOC and "also the situation along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China in Ladakh sector".
Raju, on the concluding day of his three-day visit to the Jammu region, also reviewed the major projects taken up by the Border Roads Organisation in remote parts of this mountainous area.
He also visited famous Hindu Shrine of Mata Vaishno Devi near Jammu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- Mahindra makes history with maiden win in Moto3 class
- Yemen clashes intensify as Ban Ki-moon pushes peace
- France beat Ireland 2-1 to reach Euro 2016 quarter-finals
- SUV chases Gujarat Oppn leader Shankersinh Vaghela's vehicle, nearly hits it
- Srinagar records season's hottest day, heat wave on in Jammu