Pallam Raju reviews Kashmir security
Jammu: Minister of State for Defence M.M. Pallam Raju Wednesday held a meeting at the Indian Army`s Northern Command headquarters to review the security situation in Jammu and Kashmir, an official source said.
"The rakshya rajya mantri (minister of state for defence) was briefed about the prevailing security situation both along the Line of Control (LoC) and the hinterland," the source said, adding: "It was important security meeting in the wake of fresh challenges being anticipated during summer."
The summer of 2010 had been particularly volatile with over 100 people killed in firing by the security forces at stone-pelting demonstrators.
The review began with a meeting between Raju and the Northern Command command chief, Lt. Gen. K.T. Parnaik, at Udhampur, 66 kilometers north of Jammu. This was followed by a meeting with other senior officers of the command.
The meeting also took stock of the steps in place to prevent the infiltration of militants from Pakistan across the LOC and "also the situation along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China in Ladakh sector".
Raju, on the concluding day of his three-day visit to the Jammu region, also reviewed the major projects taken up by the Border Roads Organisation in remote parts of this mountainous area.
He also visited famous Hindu Shrine of Mata Vaishno Devi near Jammu.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Top Islamic State operative killed in Lebanon
- Bipasha Basu – Karan Singh Grover wedding: The countdown has officially begun
- Syrian army set for offensive to retake Aleppo: Report
- Southwest Japan records over 1,000 aftershocks
- 7th Pay Commission: Maruti prepares database of 17 million government employees, eyes extra cash