Pallam Raju reviews Kashmir security
Jammu: Minister of State for Defence M.M. Pallam Raju Wednesday held a meeting at the Indian Army`s Northern Command headquarters to review the security situation in Jammu and Kashmir, an official source said.
"The rakshya rajya mantri (minister of state for defence) was briefed about the prevailing security situation both along the Line of Control (LoC) and the hinterland," the source said, adding: "It was important security meeting in the wake of fresh challenges being anticipated during summer."
The summer of 2010 had been particularly volatile with over 100 people killed in firing by the security forces at stone-pelting demonstrators.
The review began with a meeting between Raju and the Northern Command command chief, Lt. Gen. K.T. Parnaik, at Udhampur, 66 kilometers north of Jammu. This was followed by a meeting with other senior officers of the command.
The meeting also took stock of the steps in place to prevent the infiltration of militants from Pakistan across the LOC and "also the situation along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China in Ladakh sector".
Raju, on the concluding day of his three-day visit to the Jammu region, also reviewed the major projects taken up by the Border Roads Organisation in remote parts of this mountainous area.
He also visited famous Hindu Shrine of Mata Vaishno Devi near Jammu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof