‘Panchayati Raj Ministry not getting enough funds’
New Delhi: A Parliamentary panel has pulled
up Finance Ministry and Planning Commission for not providing
"desired level of attention" to the Ministry of Panchayati
The Standing Committee on Rural Development, headed by
Sumitra Mahajan, also asked both the Finance Ministry and
Planning Commission to consider the requirement of funds for
the Panchayati Raj Ministry, which it termed as "the most
important and people-oriented Ministry".
The committee said its examination of Eleventh Plan
projections and allocations has revealed that the Panchayati
Raj Ministry is not getting "much needed funds" during the
entire plan period on the ground that there is a constraint
with regard to overall limit of Gross Budgetary Support (GBS).
"While analysing the year-wise position of proposed
vis-a-vis actual outlay, the committee found that as against
the demand by the Ministry of Panchayati Raj of nearly Rs 3000
crore each year during 2008-2009 and 2011-2012 to the Planning
Commission, the Ministry could get even lower than 10 per cent
of the demand amount," the committee said in its 22nd report
placed in the Lok Sabha today.
It also noted that during 2009-2010 and 2010-2011, the
allocation was much lower than the demand.
"The committee regrets to note that the Planning
Commission as also the Ministry of Finance have not at all
appreciated the role assigned to Panchayats in governance at
grassroot level in the country," it said in its report for
Demands for Grants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning