Panel backs bill on 50% women`s quota in urban local bodies
New Delhi: A Parliamentary Standing
Committee today gave its thumbs-up to a bill that seeks to
increase the number of reserved seats for women to 50 per cent
in urban local bodies from the existing 33 per cent.
The Standing Committee on Urban Development, broadly
agreeing to the Constitution (One Hundred and Twelfth
Amendment) Bill, 2009, however, suggested some changes in the
proposed legislation. The bill was introduced in Lok Sabha on
November 24 last year and later it was sent to the committee.
In its report, the committee said "enhancement of
reservation for women in urban local bodies would not only
ensure their increased representation and participation but
also go a long way in articulating the voice of the women who
constitute almost 50 per cent of the population."
The bill also provides for reservation of seats for SCs
and STs in proportion to their population in the concerned
However, the Sharad Yadav-led committee questioned the
move to make reservation for SCs and STs in the offices of
chairpersons in municipalities in proportion to their
population in the whole state instead of considering their
population in a municipal area.
The committee asked when seats in a municipality are
reserved for SCs and STs in proportion to their population in
the area then why a separate criteria is sought to be adopted
for electing the chairperson.
"The committee are of the view that a true demographic
representation should be taken into account for electing the
chairperson also," it said favouring reservation of offices of
chairpersons for SCs and STs based on their population in the
The committee also suggested similar amendment to make
reservation in offices of chairpersons in panchayati raj
institutions in rural areas.
Seeking proper training for women representatives, the
committee said Government must take steps to ensure that the
women do not become "proxy" representatives.
The government should initiate rapid training programme
for all women representatives of urban local bodies to obviate
such proxy representation, it said.
Highlighting the need for having a proper policy for
rotation of seats in municipalities and also for offices of
chairpersons, the committee urged the government to invite
views from all the states on the issue.
The bill has left the matter of rotation of seats as well
as prescribing its terms to discretion of state governments.
"The committee desires that the rotation cycle of reservation
of seats for women may be extended to two terms and strongly
feels that there needs to be a uniformity across the states."
On reserving seats for OBCs among women, it said
modalities for reservation of seats should be left to states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'