Panel meets to select new CBI director; AP Singh frontrunner
New Delhi: A high-level committee involving
top bureaucrats on Wednesday held its second meeting to select new
CBI director as its incumbent Ashwini Kumar`s tenure comes to
an end this month-end.
Official sources said the meeting, which was attended by
Central Vigilance Commissioner PJ Thomas, Home Secretary GK
Pillai and Secretary, Department of Personnel, Alka Sirohi,
discussed the names of senior IPS officers belonging to 1972,
1973, 1974 and 1975 batches for selection to the chief of
country`s premier investigating agency.
Amar Pratap Singh, a 1974 batch IPS officer of Jharkhand
cadre, appeared to be a front-runner for the post, they said.
Singh is at present special director in the agency.
The panel is likely to meet again in the middle of next week to
shortlist names of three officials, the sources said.
As per the Supreme Court guidelines, officers having
experience in anti-corruption department or in the CBI will be
empanelled, following which a screening of three officers
would be sent to the Appointments` Committee of the Cabinet
headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The sources said that AP Singh, a 1974 batch Jharkhand
cadre IPS officer, is among the front-runners for the post.
There has also been some speculation about the present
incumbent getting an extension.
The government will also have to finalise the names of
heads of internal and external intelligence agencies --
Intelligence Bureau (IB) and Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) --
as the incumbents Rajiv Mathur and KC Verma would also be
retiring on December 31 and January 31, respectively.
While Nehchal Sandhu is tipped to be the next
IB chief, several names, including that of Secretary (Internal
Security), UK Bansal in Union Home Ministry, were doing the
rounds for the post of RAW chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured