Panel meets to select new CBI director; AP Singh frontrunner
New Delhi: A high-level committee involving
top bureaucrats on Wednesday held its second meeting to select new
CBI director as its incumbent Ashwini Kumar`s tenure comes to
an end this month-end.
Official sources said the meeting, which was attended by
Central Vigilance Commissioner PJ Thomas, Home Secretary GK
Pillai and Secretary, Department of Personnel, Alka Sirohi,
discussed the names of senior IPS officers belonging to 1972,
1973, 1974 and 1975 batches for selection to the chief of
country`s premier investigating agency.
Amar Pratap Singh, a 1974 batch IPS officer of Jharkhand
cadre, appeared to be a front-runner for the post, they said.
Singh is at present special director in the agency.
The panel is likely to meet again in the middle of next week to
shortlist names of three officials, the sources said.
As per the Supreme Court guidelines, officers having
experience in anti-corruption department or in the CBI will be
empanelled, following which a screening of three officers
would be sent to the Appointments` Committee of the Cabinet
headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The sources said that AP Singh, a 1974 batch Jharkhand
cadre IPS officer, is among the front-runners for the post.
There has also been some speculation about the present
incumbent getting an extension.
The government will also have to finalise the names of
heads of internal and external intelligence agencies --
Intelligence Bureau (IB) and Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) --
as the incumbents Rajiv Mathur and KC Verma would also be
retiring on December 31 and January 31, respectively.
While Nehchal Sandhu is tipped to be the next
IB chief, several names, including that of Secretary (Internal
Security), UK Bansal in Union Home Ministry, were doing the
rounds for the post of RAW chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?