Panel meets to select new CBI director; AP Singh frontrunner
New Delhi: A high-level committee involving
top bureaucrats on Wednesday held its second meeting to select new
CBI director as its incumbent Ashwini Kumar`s tenure comes to
an end this month-end.
Official sources said the meeting, which was attended by
Central Vigilance Commissioner PJ Thomas, Home Secretary GK
Pillai and Secretary, Department of Personnel, Alka Sirohi,
discussed the names of senior IPS officers belonging to 1972,
1973, 1974 and 1975 batches for selection to the chief of
country`s premier investigating agency.
Amar Pratap Singh, a 1974 batch IPS officer of Jharkhand
cadre, appeared to be a front-runner for the post, they said.
Singh is at present special director in the agency.
The panel is likely to meet again in the middle of next week to
shortlist names of three officials, the sources said.
As per the Supreme Court guidelines, officers having
experience in anti-corruption department or in the CBI will be
empanelled, following which a screening of three officers
would be sent to the Appointments` Committee of the Cabinet
headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The sources said that AP Singh, a 1974 batch Jharkhand
cadre IPS officer, is among the front-runners for the post.
There has also been some speculation about the present
incumbent getting an extension.
The government will also have to finalise the names of
heads of internal and external intelligence agencies --
Intelligence Bureau (IB) and Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) --
as the incumbents Rajiv Mathur and KC Verma would also be
retiring on December 31 and January 31, respectively.
While Nehchal Sandhu is tipped to be the next
IB chief, several names, including that of Secretary (Internal
Security), UK Bansal in Union Home Ministry, were doing the
rounds for the post of RAW chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened