Panel set up to assess the ecological status of Western Ghats
New Delhi: Government on Thursday set up a
14-member panel, headed by renowned environmentalist Madhav
Gadgil, to assess the ecological status of Western Ghats which
would enable it to demarcate sensitive zones.
The panel will recommend measures for preservation,
conservation and rejuvenation of region. It will submit its
report to the Ministry of Environment and Forests within six
months, a notification issued today said.
One of the 34 global hot-spots of biodiversity, the
Western Ghats spread across six states -- Gujarat,
Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh today convened a
meeting of 43 MPs representing the 51 districts of Western
Ghat region. These MPs will meet regularly to take stock of
the issues regarding ecology and sustainable development of
The government has already announced the plan to
establish the Sahyadri Ecological Authority which will make
recommendations for conservation and protection of the Western
Ghats after elaborate and comprehensive consultation process
involving the six concerned states.
The Western Ghats spreading over 1,600-km-long
mountainous corridor across the coast from the mouth of Tapti
river in Dhule district of Maharashtra to the tip of
Kanyakumari in Tamil Nadu is ecologically sensitive zone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan