Panel set up to assess the ecological status of Western Ghats
New Delhi: Government on Thursday set up a
14-member panel, headed by renowned environmentalist Madhav
Gadgil, to assess the ecological status of Western Ghats which
would enable it to demarcate sensitive zones.
The panel will recommend measures for preservation,
conservation and rejuvenation of region. It will submit its
report to the Ministry of Environment and Forests within six
months, a notification issued today said.
One of the 34 global hot-spots of biodiversity, the
Western Ghats spread across six states -- Gujarat,
Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh today convened a
meeting of 43 MPs representing the 51 districts of Western
Ghat region. These MPs will meet regularly to take stock of
the issues regarding ecology and sustainable development of
The government has already announced the plan to
establish the Sahyadri Ecological Authority which will make
recommendations for conservation and protection of the Western
Ghats after elaborate and comprehensive consultation process
involving the six concerned states.
The Western Ghats spreading over 1,600-km-long
mountainous corridor across the coast from the mouth of Tapti
river in Dhule district of Maharashtra to the tip of
Kanyakumari in Tamil Nadu is ecologically sensitive zone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks