Panel set up to assess the ecological status of Western Ghats
New Delhi: Government on Thursday set up a
14-member panel, headed by renowned environmentalist Madhav
Gadgil, to assess the ecological status of Western Ghats which
would enable it to demarcate sensitive zones.
The panel will recommend measures for preservation,
conservation and rejuvenation of region. It will submit its
report to the Ministry of Environment and Forests within six
months, a notification issued today said.
One of the 34 global hot-spots of biodiversity, the
Western Ghats spread across six states -- Gujarat,
Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh today convened a
meeting of 43 MPs representing the 51 districts of Western
Ghat region. These MPs will meet regularly to take stock of
the issues regarding ecology and sustainable development of
The government has already announced the plan to
establish the Sahyadri Ecological Authority which will make
recommendations for conservation and protection of the Western
Ghats after elaborate and comprehensive consultation process
involving the six concerned states.
The Western Ghats spreading over 1,600-km-long
mountainous corridor across the coast from the mouth of Tapti
river in Dhule district of Maharashtra to the tip of
Kanyakumari in Tamil Nadu is ecologically sensitive zone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray