Panel set up to assess the ecological status of Western Ghats
New Delhi: Government on Thursday set up a
14-member panel, headed by renowned environmentalist Madhav
Gadgil, to assess the ecological status of Western Ghats which
would enable it to demarcate sensitive zones.
The panel will recommend measures for preservation,
conservation and rejuvenation of region. It will submit its
report to the Ministry of Environment and Forests within six
months, a notification issued today said.
One of the 34 global hot-spots of biodiversity, the
Western Ghats spread across six states -- Gujarat,
Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh today convened a
meeting of 43 MPs representing the 51 districts of Western
Ghat region. These MPs will meet regularly to take stock of
the issues regarding ecology and sustainable development of
The government has already announced the plan to
establish the Sahyadri Ecological Authority which will make
recommendations for conservation and protection of the Western
Ghats after elaborate and comprehensive consultation process
involving the six concerned states.
The Western Ghats spreading over 1,600-km-long
mountainous corridor across the coast from the mouth of Tapti
river in Dhule district of Maharashtra to the tip of
Kanyakumari in Tamil Nadu is ecologically sensitive zone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Fitness goals! See how Akshay Kumar celebrated 'International handstand day'
- German officials warn against EU ''revenge'' for UK Brexit vote
- Watch videos: Varun Dhawan's terrific dance moves for 'Dishoom' promotions in Nagpur!
- China says has stopped communication mechanism with Taiwan
- Sultry morning in city