Panel to submit rail safety reports Friday
New Delhi: The high-level rail safety review
committee headed by former Atomic Energy Commission chairman
Anil Kakodkar will on Friday present its report, which is
understood to have favoured separate cadres for diesel and
electric locomotive drivers and upgrading tracks.
The report, which will be presented just weeks ahead of
the Rail Budget 2012-13, is understood to have also stressed
for better signalling system which could be in-cab signal
technology currently operational in Delhi Metro.
The report could also recommend installation of automatic
alert system in case of signal overshooting and specially
designed guards to save the locomotives getting derailed in
case of a hit with cattle, sources in the committee said.
The panel is also understood to have recommended adequate
rest for loco pilots before reporting for the duty.
The committee, which was set up in September last year in
the wake of recurring rail mishaps, is also expected to
propose a model for fund generations to implement its plans.
According to insiders in Railways, a massive amount would
have to be fetched for implementing the Kakodkar committee
recommendations, vital for enhanced safety and security in
The high-level committee comprises N Vedachalam of Vikram
Sarabhai Space Centre, Sanjay Dhande of IIT-Kanpur and G P
Srivastava of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre. Sreedharan is the
adviser to the committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!