Panel to submit rail safety reports Friday
New Delhi: The high-level rail safety review
committee headed by former Atomic Energy Commission chairman
Anil Kakodkar will on Friday present its report, which is
understood to have favoured separate cadres for diesel and
electric locomotive drivers and upgrading tracks.
The report, which will be presented just weeks ahead of
the Rail Budget 2012-13, is understood to have also stressed
for better signalling system which could be in-cab signal
technology currently operational in Delhi Metro.
The report could also recommend installation of automatic
alert system in case of signal overshooting and specially
designed guards to save the locomotives getting derailed in
case of a hit with cattle, sources in the committee said.
The panel is also understood to have recommended adequate
rest for loco pilots before reporting for the duty.
The committee, which was set up in September last year in
the wake of recurring rail mishaps, is also expected to
propose a model for fund generations to implement its plans.
According to insiders in Railways, a massive amount would
have to be fetched for implementing the Kakodkar committee
recommendations, vital for enhanced safety and security in
The high-level committee comprises N Vedachalam of Vikram
Sarabhai Space Centre, Sanjay Dhande of IIT-Kanpur and G P
Srivastava of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre. Sreedharan is the
adviser to the committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS