Panthers Party proposes Karan Singh for President
New Delhi: National Panthers Party on Wednesday proposed the name of senior Congress leader Karan Singh for Presidentship, saying he is the "tallest" among the names in circulation for the post.
Panthers Party chief Bhim Singh shot off letters seeking support for Karan Singh to top leaders of all parties, including Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, BJP leader L K Advani and CPI (M) General Secretary Prakash Karat.
In his letters, he said Karan Singh is the "most potential" personality with international understanding and recognition who "shall prove a unique ambassador of India to dilute international tension."
He said Karan Singh deserves consideration and he is acceptable to all sections of society.
In apparent reference to PA Sangma`s bid for Presidentship citing his tribal identity, Bhim Singh said the head of the state should not be identified with his colour, religion, region or caste.
He urged Left parties not to oppose Karan Singh because of his royal lineage.
He said he has already spoken to regional party leaders like Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mamata Banerjee and Chandrababu Naidu.
The Panthers Party had during a three-day camp in Jammu and Kashmir`s Udhampur passed a resolution supporting the candidature of Karan Singh.
Panthers Party has four MLAs in Jammu and Kashmir Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence – Part II
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- WATCH: Pakistan PM Nawaz Sharif, ex-president Pervez Musharraf flirted with this girl?
- What's cooking? Farah Khan's 'do anmol ratan' Ranveer Singh, Anil Kapoor spill madness at shoot
- EXCLUSIVE: This is what Kashmiri children think about India – Must watch video
- US-backed forces give IS '48 hours' to leave Syria's Manbij
- RBI to cut rates by 0.25% on Aug 9 if rains damp pulse price