Panthers Party proposes Karan Singh for President
New Delhi: National Panthers Party on Wednesday proposed the name of senior Congress leader Karan Singh for Presidentship, saying he is the "tallest" among the names in circulation for the post.
Panthers Party chief Bhim Singh shot off letters seeking support for Karan Singh to top leaders of all parties, including Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, BJP leader L K Advani and CPI (M) General Secretary Prakash Karat.
In his letters, he said Karan Singh is the "most potential" personality with international understanding and recognition who "shall prove a unique ambassador of India to dilute international tension."
He said Karan Singh deserves consideration and he is acceptable to all sections of society.
In apparent reference to PA Sangma`s bid for Presidentship citing his tribal identity, Bhim Singh said the head of the state should not be identified with his colour, religion, region or caste.
He urged Left parties not to oppose Karan Singh because of his royal lineage.
He said he has already spoken to regional party leaders like Mulayam Singh Yadav, Mamata Banerjee and Chandrababu Naidu.
The Panthers Party had during a three-day camp in Jammu and Kashmir`s Udhampur passed a resolution supporting the candidature of Karan Singh.
Panthers Party has four MLAs in Jammu and Kashmir Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble