Par panel asks Centre to keep it updated on ARWSP schemes
New Delhi: Concerned over the slow rate of completion of water projects in 15 states, a Parliamentary panel has asked the Centre to inform it about the progress made in the execution of schemes under the Accelerated Rural Water Supply Programme.
The Public Accounts Committee, chaired by BJP MP Murli Manohar Joshi, has refused to accept the "stock reply" tendered by the Drinking Water and Sanitation Ministry.
The PAC said it was "concerned to note that no time frame has been provided to ensure timely completion of schemes as more than one to four thousand schemes are pending finalisation in 15 states”.
In its report tabled in Lok Sabha, the panel said, "The committee would like to be apprised of the present status of 56,162 schemes which were stated to be completed by March, 2012."
Earlier, the ministry had informed the panel that 56,162 schemes are targeted to be completed by March 2012, 9,885 schemes by March this year and 3,298 schemes after this month.
Reiterating that the ministry should keep a constant watch over the progress of remaining 9,885 schemes which are slated for completion by March, the panel urged it to streamline and improve implementation of ARWSP so that these schemes are completed on time and a status report is submitted within three months.
The panel also recommended that the independent agency engaged to carry out a nationwide verification of data of these schemes completes its work within stipulated time frame.
The ministry had informed that the agency engaged to carry out the nationwide verification of data is expected to be submitted by the end of March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015: Not easy for fast bowler to win many MOM in one season, says Ashish Nehra