Par panel asks Centre to keep it updated on ARWSP schemes
New Delhi: Concerned over the slow rate of completion of water projects in 15 states, a Parliamentary panel has asked the Centre to inform it about the progress made in the execution of schemes under the Accelerated Rural Water Supply Programme.
The Public Accounts Committee, chaired by BJP MP Murli Manohar Joshi, has refused to accept the "stock reply" tendered by the Drinking Water and Sanitation Ministry.
The PAC said it was "concerned to note that no time frame has been provided to ensure timely completion of schemes as more than one to four thousand schemes are pending finalisation in 15 states”.
In its report tabled in Lok Sabha, the panel said, "The committee would like to be apprised of the present status of 56,162 schemes which were stated to be completed by March, 2012."
Earlier, the ministry had informed the panel that 56,162 schemes are targeted to be completed by March 2012, 9,885 schemes by March this year and 3,298 schemes after this month.
Reiterating that the ministry should keep a constant watch over the progress of remaining 9,885 schemes which are slated for completion by March, the panel urged it to streamline and improve implementation of ARWSP so that these schemes are completed on time and a status report is submitted within three months.
The panel also recommended that the independent agency engaged to carry out a nationwide verification of data of these schemes completes its work within stipulated time frame.
The ministry had informed that the agency engaged to carry out the nationwide verification of data is expected to be submitted by the end of March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert