Parasaran to represent govt in SC on Lalli`s removal
New Delhi: Overruling Attorney General
G E Vahanvati`s recommendation, the Information and
Broadcasting ministry has opted for Additional Solicitor
General Mohan Parasaran to represent it in the Supreme Court
in a case seeking the removal of suspended Prasar Bharati CEO
B S Lalli.
Following a reference by the President to initiate
removal proceedings against Lalli, the Supreme Court had
given the Centre four weeks` time to furnish evidence
against Lalli facing allegations of irregularities in the
Vahanvati had written to the Law Ministry saying that
another ASG Gourab Banerji would assist the court in his place
while Parasaran - who had been involved in the case - could
represent Prasar Bharati.
Vahanvati said his own schedule does not permit him to
assist the court in the matter.
Vahanvati`s letter was forwarded to the Information
and Broadcasting Ministry which stressed that it wanted
Parasaran to plead its case.
The I&B Ministry had said that Parasaran knew the
issue from the very beginning and he would be helpful in
arguing the matter before the SC.
"Orders have been issued and Parasaran will represent
the I and B Ministry," Law Minister M Veerappa Moily told
In August last year, Parasaran had recommended to the
I and B Ministry to refer Lalli`s case to the President.
President Pratibha Patil had on December 21 ordered
the suspension Lalli as Prasar Bharti CEO.
The presidential action came after the Prime
Minister`s Office(PMO) forwarded to Patil the letter by the I
and B ministry recommending the suspension of 63-year-old
Lalli, a 1971-batch IAS officer of the Uttar Pradesh cadre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what