Parasaran to represent govt in SC on Lalli`s removal
New Delhi: Overruling Attorney General
G E Vahanvati`s recommendation, the Information and
Broadcasting ministry has opted for Additional Solicitor
General Mohan Parasaran to represent it in the Supreme Court
in a case seeking the removal of suspended Prasar Bharati CEO
B S Lalli.
Following a reference by the President to initiate
removal proceedings against Lalli, the Supreme Court had
given the Centre four weeks` time to furnish evidence
against Lalli facing allegations of irregularities in the
Vahanvati had written to the Law Ministry saying that
another ASG Gourab Banerji would assist the court in his place
while Parasaran - who had been involved in the case - could
represent Prasar Bharati.
Vahanvati said his own schedule does not permit him to
assist the court in the matter.
Vahanvati`s letter was forwarded to the Information
and Broadcasting Ministry which stressed that it wanted
Parasaran to plead its case.
The I&B Ministry had said that Parasaran knew the
issue from the very beginning and he would be helpful in
arguing the matter before the SC.
"Orders have been issued and Parasaran will represent
the I and B Ministry," Law Minister M Veerappa Moily told
In August last year, Parasaran had recommended to the
I and B Ministry to refer Lalli`s case to the President.
President Pratibha Patil had on December 21 ordered
the suspension Lalli as Prasar Bharti CEO.
The presidential action came after the Prime
Minister`s Office(PMO) forwarded to Patil the letter by the I
and B ministry recommending the suspension of 63-year-old
Lalli, a 1971-batch IAS officer of the Uttar Pradesh cadre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi