Paresh Baruah arrested in Myanmar?
New Delhi: Elusive self-styled `commander-in-chief` of ULFA anti-talk fraction Paresh Baruah was reportedly arrested in Myanmar on Saturday.
There is no official confirmation on Baruah’s arrest so far.
In a related devlopement, 33 insurgents of the anti-talk NDFB and ULFA factions surrendered before the army and deposited arms, ammunition and explosives in Tezpur district of Assam today.
The surrender was a result of sustained efforts and motivation by Army units of the Red Horn Division, Gajraj Corps Military Intelligence Unit, 166 Territorial Army Battalion and Assam Police, defence sources added.
At a surrender ceremony organised by the Army at the Nehru Maidan in Tezpur, 32 NDFB and one ULFA militant bade farewell to arms before GoC Gajraj Corps Lt Gen Shakti Gurung.
The ultras laid down three 7.62 mm AK series assault rifles, 24 pistols, nine hand grenades along with a huge quantity of explosives and ammunition.
Welcoming the misguided youths to the national mainstream, Lt Gen Gurung said, "this is not only an achievement in terms of blow to the outfits but also a message to other disenchanted militants that they can return home and lead a peaceful and respectful life".
The GoC urged the surrendered youths to lead a normal and fruitful life in keeping with the people`s yearning for enduring peace in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days