Paresh Baruah arrested in Myanmar?
New Delhi: Elusive self-styled `commander-in-chief` of ULFA anti-talk fraction Paresh Baruah was reportedly arrested in Myanmar on Saturday.
There is no official confirmation on Baruah’s arrest so far.
In a related devlopement, 33 insurgents of the anti-talk NDFB and ULFA factions surrendered before the army and deposited arms, ammunition and explosives in Tezpur district of Assam today.
The surrender was a result of sustained efforts and motivation by Army units of the Red Horn Division, Gajraj Corps Military Intelligence Unit, 166 Territorial Army Battalion and Assam Police, defence sources added.
At a surrender ceremony organised by the Army at the Nehru Maidan in Tezpur, 32 NDFB and one ULFA militant bade farewell to arms before GoC Gajraj Corps Lt Gen Shakti Gurung.
The ultras laid down three 7.62 mm AK series assault rifles, 24 pistols, nine hand grenades along with a huge quantity of explosives and ammunition.
Welcoming the misguided youths to the national mainstream, Lt Gen Gurung said, "this is not only an achievement in terms of blow to the outfits but also a message to other disenchanted militants that they can return home and lead a peaceful and respectful life".
The GoC urged the surrendered youths to lead a normal and fruitful life in keeping with the people`s yearning for enduring peace in the state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed