Parl Committee reviews BrahMos functioning
New Delhi: A Parliamentary Committee on Wednesday reviewed the progress made by the Indo-Russian Joint Venture BrahMos corporation at its facility in Thiruvananthapuram.
Visiting some defence installations in southern part of the country, the Standing Committee on Defence headed by Satpal Maharaj reviewed the functioning and the progress made by the BrahMos Aerospace Thiruvananthapuram Limited (BATL) over the last decade, officials said here.
During the visit, the members of the Committee were shown the facilities and the product fabrication unit of the BATL, they said.
The Indo-Russian Joint Venture was established in 1998 to produce a supersonic cruise missile. Over the years, BrahMos Aerospace under A Sivathanu Pillai has been able to develop three variants of the land-based and warship-based attack missile.
The company is also planning to develop the under water and air launched versions of the world`s fastest cruise missile in operation with capability to hit targets at high speeds of Mach 2.8.
An air launched variant of Brahmos is expected to come out by the end of this year whereas the underwater version is also planned to be tested in this time period only.
A hypersonic version of the missile is also presently under development with speed of Mach 7 to boost aerial fast strike capability and is expected to be ready by 2016.
The name BrahMos is derived from the names of two rivers, the Brahmaputra of India and the Moskva of Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...