Parl Committee reviews BrahMos functioning
New Delhi: A Parliamentary Committee on Wednesday reviewed the progress made by the Indo-Russian Joint Venture BrahMos corporation at its facility in Thiruvananthapuram.
Visiting some defence installations in southern part of the country, the Standing Committee on Defence headed by Satpal Maharaj reviewed the functioning and the progress made by the BrahMos Aerospace Thiruvananthapuram Limited (BATL) over the last decade, officials said here.
During the visit, the members of the Committee were shown the facilities and the product fabrication unit of the BATL, they said.
The Indo-Russian Joint Venture was established in 1998 to produce a supersonic cruise missile. Over the years, BrahMos Aerospace under A Sivathanu Pillai has been able to develop three variants of the land-based and warship-based attack missile.
The company is also planning to develop the under water and air launched versions of the world`s fastest cruise missile in operation with capability to hit targets at high speeds of Mach 2.8.
An air launched variant of Brahmos is expected to come out by the end of this year whereas the underwater version is also planned to be tested in this time period only.
A hypersonic version of the missile is also presently under development with speed of Mach 7 to boost aerial fast strike capability and is expected to be ready by 2016.
The name BrahMos is derived from the names of two rivers, the Brahmaputra of India and the Moskva of Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery