Parl disrupted over PC’s role in telecom deal
New Delhi: Both houses of Parliament were disrupted Tuesday morning as the opposition raised the pitch over the alleged role of Home Minister P Chidambaram in helping his son get financial benefits from a telecom deal when he was finance minister.
The Lok Sabha saw noisy disruptions, with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) seeking a reply from the government on the issue.
Some BJP MPs staged protests near Speaker Meira Kumar`s podium and disrupted the crucial question hour.
The Speaker first tried to restore peace in the house asking protesting MPs to go back to their seats. As the MPs intensified their protests, Meira Kumar adjourned the house till noon.
Pandemonium returned when the house resumed at 12 noon. Amid noisy protests, the Speaker allowed some business documents to be laid down in the house before adjourning the house till 1 pm.
Opposition MPs cited Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy`s allegations that Chidambaram had delayed permission for the sale of Aircel to Malaysia-based Maxis in 2006 when he was finance minister so that his son, Karthi, was financially benefited.
"The BJP is going to raise the matter very seriously in both the houses. The government is not coming with true facts pertaining to the deliberate delays in the Aircel-Maxis deal because of the interest of then finance minister. We want a reply from the government in parliament," said BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad.
He said the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is being misused and the investigative agency wants to put it on the backburner.
The upper house saw two adjournments, first for 10 minutes and then till 12 noon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum