‘Parl joint session option being looked at’
New Delhi: An option of a joint session of
Parliament was being thought of for the passage of the Lokpal
and Lokayukta Bill if government`s attempt to get it approved
from the Rajya Sabha fails on Thursaday.
It will be a touch-and-go affair in the Upper House,
remarked a senior Congress leader underlining that there were
many ifs and buts for the Bill to be passed.
UPA does not have a majority in the 243-member Rajya
Sabha, which has got two vacancies.
The leader said that if the government`s bid to get the
Bill passed in the Upper House fails, then a joint session
would have to be convened before the Budget Session that
generally starts in the second week of February.
Congress has 71 members, while its allies DMK has seven,
Trinamool Congress six, NCP seven, National Conference two and
RLD one. This comes to 94.
The party also enjoys the support of some one-member
parties and some independents and others. The total number of
independent and others is six, while nominated members are
Two of the nominated, Mani Shankar Aiyer and Bhalchandra
Mungekar, have already joined the Congress.
A Union Minister, belonging to Congress, expressed the
hope that the government would be able to muster enough
support for the passage of the crucial legislation through
some parties abstaining from voting or staying away.
On the Opposition side, the BJP has 51, Left parties have
19, JD(U) eight, BJD six, AIADMK five, TDP and Shiv Sena four
each, Akali Dal three and AGP two.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army kills 35 terrorists in surgical strikes across LoC
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’