‘Parl joint session option being looked at’
New Delhi: An option of a joint session of
Parliament was being thought of for the passage of the Lokpal
and Lokayukta Bill if government`s attempt to get it approved
from the Rajya Sabha fails on Thursaday.
It will be a touch-and-go affair in the Upper House,
remarked a senior Congress leader underlining that there were
many ifs and buts for the Bill to be passed.
UPA does not have a majority in the 243-member Rajya
Sabha, which has got two vacancies.
The leader said that if the government`s bid to get the
Bill passed in the Upper House fails, then a joint session
would have to be convened before the Budget Session that
generally starts in the second week of February.
Congress has 71 members, while its allies DMK has seven,
Trinamool Congress six, NCP seven, National Conference two and
RLD one. This comes to 94.
The party also enjoys the support of some one-member
parties and some independents and others. The total number of
independent and others is six, while nominated members are
Two of the nominated, Mani Shankar Aiyer and Bhalchandra
Mungekar, have already joined the Congress.
A Union Minister, belonging to Congress, expressed the
hope that the government would be able to muster enough
support for the passage of the crucial legislation through
some parties abstaining from voting or staying away.
On the Opposition side, the BJP has 51, Left parties have
19, JD(U) eight, BJD six, AIADMK five, TDP and Shiv Sena four
each, Akali Dal three and AGP two.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj