Parl panel approves bill to empower EC on seat nomenclature
New Delhi: A Parliamentary committee has approved a bill which seeks to give limited powers to the Election Commission to determine change in nomenclature of a parliamentary or assembly seat where a caste has been included or excluded from the SC/ST list in the last one decade.
The Readjustment of Representation of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies Bill, 2013 was referred to the Standing Committee on Law after members from various parties, including BJP, BSP, SP and CPI-M, objected to rushing through the crucial legislation when it was introduced in Rajya Sabha during the first half of the Budget Session.
The members had insisted that the Bill should be referred to the Standing Committee because it concerns all political parties as it related to delimitation of constituencies.
The Bill seeks to replace an ordinance issued in January this year which has since lapsed.
The report said some of Committee members were of the opinion that the exercise for the Commission would turn out to be a major one.
"However, in the Committee`s view...This exercise would only result in increase or decrease of a few reserved seats...It will neither change the number of constituencies nor will it be a delimitation exercise," the report said.
A member of the Committee, Sukhendu Shekhar Roy (Trinamool Congress) gave a dissent note, saying views of constitutional experts and concerned states and Union Territories should be taken and the panel should not have rushed to conclusions.
The Bill will empower EC to make changes in Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe constituencies where some castes have been either excluded or included between the 2001 census and May 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional