Parl panel for comprehensive land acquisition act
New Delhi: A Parliamentary panel has asked
the government to come up with a comprehensive Land
Acquisition Act after taking into account recent Supreme Court
observations in this regard and introduce the related bills in
the current session of Parliament.
"It is high time the Government should come up with a
comprehensive Land Acquisition and Rehabilitation and
Resettlement Act, taking into account the grievances of the
affected persons and the recent Supreme Court
observations/judgements in the case of land acquisition," the
Standing Committee on Rural Development chaired by Sumitra
"The Committee recommend the Government to come up with
the Bills in the current session of Parliament itself," it
The committee also expressed its disappointment with the
government for not introducing the related bills even two
years after the Cabinet`s approval in this regard.
"The Committee are disappointed to note that even after
lapse of two years since the approval of introduction of
Bills in Parliament by the Cabinet, the Bills have not been
introduced," the Committee said in its 21st report on Demands
for Grants placed in Lok Sabha today.
It noted that there was increased number of litigations
in Land Acquisition and Rehabilitation across the country and
the discontent among the farming community at large in the
process of land acquisition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery