Parl panel recommends autonomy for CBI
New Delhi: The Parliamentary Standing Committee on personnel public grievances has recommended autonomy for the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) through an act of Parliament.
The latest recommendation is crucial as many political parties have been demanding that the CBI be made an autonomous body and brought under the purview of Lokpal.
The principle opposition party, the BJP has time and again accused the government of using the CBI for its political gains. The BJP leaders have often termed it as ‘Congress Bureau of Investigation’.
Importantly, Team Anna which started the fight for Lokpal Bill had also recommended the country’s premier investigating agency to be made an autonomous body and brought under the purview of Lokpal.
The much-anticipated Lokpal Bill, which aims at setting up an anti-corruption watchdog in the country, will be put for a debate in the Rajya Sabha today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug