Parl panel recommends autonomy for CBI
New Delhi: The Parliamentary Standing Committee on personnel public grievances has recommended autonomy for the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) through an act of Parliament.
The latest recommendation is crucial as many political parties have been demanding that the CBI be made an autonomous body and brought under the purview of Lokpal.
The principle opposition party, the BJP has time and again accused the government of using the CBI for its political gains. The BJP leaders have often termed it as ‘Congress Bureau of Investigation’.
Importantly, Team Anna which started the fight for Lokpal Bill had also recommended the country’s premier investigating agency to be made an autonomous body and brought under the purview of Lokpal.
The much-anticipated Lokpal Bill, which aims at setting up an anti-corruption watchdog in the country, will be put for a debate in the Rajya Sabha today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'