Parl panel recommends autonomy for CBI
New Delhi: The Parliamentary Standing Committee on personnel public grievances has recommended autonomy for the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) through an act of Parliament.
The latest recommendation is crucial as many political parties have been demanding that the CBI be made an autonomous body and brought under the purview of Lokpal.
The principle opposition party, the BJP has time and again accused the government of using the CBI for its political gains. The BJP leaders have often termed it as ‘Congress Bureau of Investigation’.
Importantly, Team Anna which started the fight for Lokpal Bill had also recommended the country’s premier investigating agency to be made an autonomous body and brought under the purview of Lokpal.
The much-anticipated Lokpal Bill, which aims at setting up an anti-corruption watchdog in the country, will be put for a debate in the Rajya Sabha today.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'