Parl panel suggests setting up of `culture cadre`
New Delhi: A parliamentary panel has recommended setting up of an overarching body, including eminent persons from the field of art and culture, to monitor and facilitate the functioning of Akademis, museums and other cultural institutions.
The Department Related Parliamentary Standing Committee on Transport, Tourism and Culture in its report on functioning of national Akademies and other cultural institutions suggested the Culture Ministry to constitute a high powered committee to examine issues raised in its present report, as also in the Bhabha Committee (1964), Khosla Committee (1972) and Haksar Committee (1989) reports.
"The proposed high powered committee can review the mandate and composition of these bodies and suggest measures to monitor their performance and a coordination mechanism for these institutions," the report stated.
After presenting the report to Rajya Sabha chairman Hamid Ansari, committee chairman Sitaram Yechury said, "The Committee feels that a cultural cadre distinct from the regular administrative cadre needs to be created to man the functioning of the Akademis, museums and other cultural institutions.
"There is a need for establishing a separate culture cadre," he said, adding there should be a close link between education and culture, while courses should be introduced for education in various art forms like theatre, dance, music, poetry, literature and painting among others.
The `cultural cadre` would manage arts and culture institutions as it has been found that people who manage these institutions have little knowledge about Arts and Culture and many lack professionalism required for the field, the report said.
Yechury said government should take this initiative and also called for a mechanism to redress grievances of artists and steps to ensure their security and livelihood in old age by formulating an insurance scheme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow