Parl panel wants Centre to give funds for 70% of pension under MNREGA
New Delhi: A Parliamentary panel has asked the Rural Development Ministry to "vigorously push" with the Finance Ministry a committee recommendation that 70 per cent of an ambitious pension scheme for MGNREGA workers should be provided by the central Government.
The direction from the Committee on Empowerment of Women came after the Rural Development Ministry pointed out that Janashree Bima Yojana (JBY), which provides life insurance protection to people below poverty line or marginally above poverty line, is implemented by the Finance Ministry.
"The Committee would like the Ministry to pursue it vigorously with the Ministry of Finance for taking conclusive action under intimation to the Committee," said the panel chaired by Rajkumari Ratna Singh in its report tabled in the Lok Sabha today.
Noting that MNREGA workers have been included in the Rural Poor category under Janshree Bima Yojana, the panel has said that under the scheme 50 per cent of the total premium is to be paid by the beneficiary, "which is on a higher side."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16