Parl panel wants Centre to give funds for 70% of pension under MNREGA
New Delhi: A Parliamentary panel has asked the Rural Development Ministry to "vigorously push" with the Finance Ministry a committee recommendation that 70 per cent of an ambitious pension scheme for MGNREGA workers should be provided by the central Government.
The direction from the Committee on Empowerment of Women came after the Rural Development Ministry pointed out that Janashree Bima Yojana (JBY), which provides life insurance protection to people below poverty line or marginally above poverty line, is implemented by the Finance Ministry.
"The Committee would like the Ministry to pursue it vigorously with the Ministry of Finance for taking conclusive action under intimation to the Committee," said the panel chaired by Rajkumari Ratna Singh in its report tabled in the Lok Sabha today.
Noting that MNREGA workers have been included in the Rural Poor category under Janshree Bima Yojana, the panel has said that under the scheme 50 per cent of the total premium is to be paid by the beneficiary, "which is on a higher side."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter