Parl panel wants Centre to give funds for 70% of pension under MNREGA
New Delhi: A Parliamentary panel has asked the Rural Development Ministry to "vigorously push" with the Finance Ministry a committee recommendation that 70 per cent of an ambitious pension scheme for MGNREGA workers should be provided by the central Government.
The direction from the Committee on Empowerment of Women came after the Rural Development Ministry pointed out that Janashree Bima Yojana (JBY), which provides life insurance protection to people below poverty line or marginally above poverty line, is implemented by the Finance Ministry.
"The Committee would like the Ministry to pursue it vigorously with the Ministry of Finance for taking conclusive action under intimation to the Committee," said the panel chaired by Rajkumari Ratna Singh in its report tabled in the Lok Sabha today.
Noting that MNREGA workers have been included in the Rural Poor category under Janshree Bima Yojana, the panel has said that under the scheme 50 per cent of the total premium is to be paid by the beneficiary, "which is on a higher side."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Salman Khan rules 2015 Bollywood Box Office – here’s why