Parl panel wants Centre to give funds for 70% of pension under MNREGA
New Delhi: A Parliamentary panel has asked the Rural Development Ministry to "vigorously push" with the Finance Ministry a committee recommendation that 70 per cent of an ambitious pension scheme for MGNREGA workers should be provided by the central Government.
The direction from the Committee on Empowerment of Women came after the Rural Development Ministry pointed out that Janashree Bima Yojana (JBY), which provides life insurance protection to people below poverty line or marginally above poverty line, is implemented by the Finance Ministry.
"The Committee would like the Ministry to pursue it vigorously with the Ministry of Finance for taking conclusive action under intimation to the Committee," said the panel chaired by Rajkumari Ratna Singh in its report tabled in the Lok Sabha today.
Noting that MNREGA workers have been included in the Rural Poor category under Janshree Bima Yojana, the panel has said that under the scheme 50 per cent of the total premium is to be paid by the beneficiary, "which is on a higher side."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog