Parl panel wants Centre to give funds for 70% of pension under MNREGA
New Delhi: A Parliamentary panel has asked the Rural Development Ministry to "vigorously push" with the Finance Ministry a committee recommendation that 70 per cent of an ambitious pension scheme for MGNREGA workers should be provided by the central Government.
The direction from the Committee on Empowerment of Women came after the Rural Development Ministry pointed out that Janashree Bima Yojana (JBY), which provides life insurance protection to people below poverty line or marginally above poverty line, is implemented by the Finance Ministry.
"The Committee would like the Ministry to pursue it vigorously with the Ministry of Finance for taking conclusive action under intimation to the Committee," said the panel chaired by Rajkumari Ratna Singh in its report tabled in the Lok Sabha today.
Noting that MNREGA workers have been included in the Rural Poor category under Janshree Bima Yojana, the panel has said that under the scheme 50 per cent of the total premium is to be paid by the beneficiary, "which is on a higher side."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state