Parl panel wants to bring water under Concurrent list
New Delhi: Amid inter-state disputes on water sharing, members of a Parliamentary committee have supported the idea of putting water in the Concurrent List of Constitution to help the Centre have a greater say in settling feuds.
Water at present is a state subject.
There was "near unanimity" among members of Consultative Committee on Water Resources to bring water in the Concurrent List to ensure that the Centre has a greater say in resolving disputes.
The Committee, headed by Water Resources Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal, met here yesterday in which members supported the idea with some "safeguards" to protect the interests of the states.
While the Centre has supported the idea, the Ashok Chawla Committee on Management of Natural Resources had recommended bringing water to either the Union List or the Concurrent List. The Centre is learnt to be supportive of the recommendation of the Chawla panel.
"Water is a national resource, therefore, the state governments should not have the sole right over it," a member said after the meeting.
Another member said it would be better if there are certain "safeguards" to protect the interests of the state while bringing water to the Concurrent List.
Last year, a top representative of the Ministry had told the Standing Committee on Water Resources, "It (water) should be brought under the Union List...If not in the Union List, at least in the Concurrent list".
The Ministry official was asked to comment on the "desirability" of effecting constitutional amendment with regard to water which figures in the State List (entry 17), Seventh Schedule of the Constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire