Parl passes bill to protect kids from sexual abuse
New Delhi: Parliament on Tuesday approved a bill to protect children below 18 from sexual abuse, set up special courts for speedy trial of cases against them and provide stringent punishment extending up to life term for offenders.
"The bill is gender neutral. It seeks to protect children from sexual offences...The burden of proof will be on the accused," Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath said winding up the debate in the Lok Sabha on the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Bill, 2011.
The bill, which was earlier cleared by Rajya Sabha, was approved by the Lower House by voice vote today.
Tirath said all below 18 years would be treated as child and efforts have been made to keep provisions of the bill child-friendly. It contains provisions for in-camera trial of offences, she said.
Dismissing concerns over misuse of the law, Tirath said, provisions have also been made to deal with offences of false complaints.
The bill found support from all sections of the House, although some members raised the issue of possible misuse of the stringent law.
Lalu Prasad (RJD) questioned why the government did not move the Supreme Court against the decision of the Delhi High Court decriminalising unnatural sex.
"We are not animals, we are humans. Why have you not gone to the Supreme Court?" he asked, adding "dirty pictures" were being made and it has become impossible to watch movies with family members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam