Parl pays tributes to Bhopal gas tragedy victims
New Delhi: Parliament on Friday remembered the victims of the Bhopal gas tragedy on its 26th anniversary with Vice President Hamid Ansari saying the human tragedy of
unparalleled magnitude had been compounded by "indifferent attitude" of the authorities.
Both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha observed silence after paying tributes to thousands people who died in the tragedy that took place on the night of December 2, 1984 due to
leakage of deadly gas from the Union Carbide`s pesticide plant.
In the Rajya Sabha, Chairman Ansari said, "The tragedy still haunts us in the form of incapacitated people and children born with deformities. It was indeed a human tragedy
of unparalleled magnitude which shocked the conscience of the world.
"The criminal human folly that caused this tragedy has been compounded by indifferent attitude in subsequent years.
It is incumbent on us, morally and legally, to do our utmost to support the surviving victims in every manner possible."
In the Lok Sabha, Speaker Meira Kumar said 26 years ago thousands of people lost their lives and many were affected due to leakage of the deadly methyl isocyanate gas from the
She said a pledge should be taken to adopt measures to prevent occurrence of such incidents in future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'