Parliament adjourned over coal blocks allocation row
New Delhi: Both houses of Parliament were adjourned till Tuesday as the BJP on Monday demanded Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s resignation over the contentious issue of coal blocks allocation.
However, it was agreed at an all-party meeting called by Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar to break the ongoing logjam that the crucial finance bill, along with the railway appropriation bill and the demands for grants of various ministries would be taken up Tuesday, said sources.
The financial bills need to be passed on a priority basis, so that funds can be released to ensure the smooth running of government, the sources said.
Before the all-party meeting, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath appealed to the opposition to allow the house to function.
"I appeal to the opposition to let the house function. We have lost five days and I appeal to parties that parliament is the right forum for debate," Kamal Nath said.
Both the houses were first adjourned till noon, then till 2 pm, and finally for the day.
In the lower house, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) members came near the speaker`s podium soon after the house resumed after its first adjournment, and raised slogans demanding the prime minister`s resignation.
Amid the din, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav raised the issue of Chinese incursion in the Ladakh area of Jammu and Kashmir.
As unruly scenes continued, Congress MP Girija Vyas, who was in the chair, adjourned the house till 2 pm.
Later, deputy speaker Kariya Munda adjourned the house till Tuesday as the din resumed.
The BJP has sought a statement from the government on the coal blocks allocation and alleged that Law Minister Ashwani Kumar and the Prime Minister`s Office interfered with the work of the Central Bureau of Investigation`s probe into the issue.
Rajya Sabha chairman M. Hamid Ansari earlier adjourned the house till noon after members of the BJP did not allow question hour to commence.
The chairman`s repeated requests to allow question hour to proceed went unheeded. As the opposition members did not relent, Ansari adjourned the house till noon.
When the ruckus continued even after the house met again, it was then adjourned till 2 p.m. and later for the day.
Both the houses have seen repeated disruptions by opposition parties over the allocation of coal blocks and the 2G spectrum issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM