Parliament adjourned till noon after uproar
New Delhi: Parliament was adjourned till noon Tuesday after Opposition BJP, AIADMK and Congress ally DMK triggered uproar over the alleged land deals by kin of a leading politician and plight of ethnic Tamils in Sri Lanka.
The Lok Sabha plunged into turmoil soon after Speaker Meira Kumar read out an obituary reference to former member Viren Shah.
Members of Congress ally DMK trooped into the Well as their leader T R Baalu waved pictures of the 12-year-old son of slain LTTE chief V Prabhakaran.
AIADMK members too rushed to the Well raising slogans on the plight of ethnic Tamils in Sri Lanka.
BJP members displayed placards and shouted slogans against alleged favours extended to kin of a prominent politician in land deals.
`Finance Minister, adopt the formula of son-in-law, reduce losses sitting at home`, read the placards shown by BJP.
Despite din, the Speaker took up the Question Hour, but with members unrelenting, she adjourned the House till noon.
It was trouble from the word go in the Rajya Sabha.
As soon as Chairman Hamid Ansari took his seat, opposition members raised issues of alleged land deals and Italy refusing to return marines accused of killing fishermen in Kerala.
DMK members raised the plight of Sri Lankan Tamils and trooped into the Well. Some members displayed newspapers.
As Ansari took up the first listed question, members shouted slogans and nothing could be heard in the din.
Ansari asked the members to go back to their places. "Please don`t come into the Well. Go back. No banners please," he said.
But soon some BJP members rushed into the Well, forcing the Chairman to adjourn the House till noon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Moved on after Twitter-spat with Irani: Priyanka Chaturvedi
- Speculation abounds over new Taliban chief`s leaked photo
- Watch video: This is just not the way this cat's humans expected it to behave on seeing a rat!
- There are 'no good or bad terrorists': Pranab Mukherjee tells Xi Jinping
- When Narendra Modi took oath of office as 15th PM of India on May 26, 2014 - Watch video