Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru hanged in Tihar jail, remained ‘remorseless’
New Delhi: Three months after 26/11 attack convict Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab`s execution, Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru was hanged in a top-secret operation on Saturday morning. The Jaish-e-Mohammad terrorist has been buried inside the jail itself, according to a prison official.
Afzal Guru, who was convicted of plotting the 2001 terror attack on the Indian Parliament, was hanged at 8 am inside Delhi`s Tihar Jail, confirmed Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and Home Secretary RK Singh.
The Parliament attack convict was hanged about 20 metres away from special security jail number 3 where he was lodged since 2001, jail`s director general Vimla Mehra told a news agency.
Meanwhile, curfew has been imposed around Tihar Jail and in several parts of Kashmir. All the police stations in New Delhi were put on high alert, police sources said.
Speaking to reporters, Singh said the situation isn`t sensitive anywhere “but we have taken precautions regarding security”.
Earlier, Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesperson Venu Rajamony had confirmed that the mercy plea of the Jaish-e-Mohammad terrorist was rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee a few days ago, paving the way for his hanging.
According to Singh, the President rejected Afzal Guru`s mercy petition on February 03..."We moved accordingly then".
“We did an investigation. As soon as the President rejected, further steps according to the jail manual were taken up. I repeat myself; it was law taking its course. It’s a rule of the law. We don’t announce our steps word by word. The Jammu and Kashmir Police have taken some security measures,” Singh said.
Formal announcement was also made by Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde later.
Asked if he had been kept in the loop, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said: "Absolutely."
Guru`s hanging has been welcomed by the BJP as well as families of those who were killed in the 2001 attack.
Guru was convicted of conspiracy in the December 2001 attack on Parliament and was sentenced to death by the Supreme Court in 2004. His hanging was scheduled for October 2006, but was stayed after his wife filed a mercy petition.
On December 13, 2001, five heavily-armed gunmen stormed the Parliament complex and opened indiscriminate fire, killing nine persons.
They included five Delhi Police personnel, a woman Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) official, two Parliament watch and ward staff and a gardener.
A journalist, who was injured, died later. All five terrorists were shot dead.
Guru was picked up after the attack on December 15, 2001, from a bus in the national capital.
Five days before the fourth anniversary of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, the lone captured Kasab was not only hanged till death at the Yerwada Central Prison but also buried there.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt