Parliament attack: Kin take bravery medals back
New Delhi: The family of eight security personnel, who died in the 2001 Parliament attack, on Saturday took back the gallantry medals which they had returned in 2006 to protest against delay in the execution of Afzal Guru.
The kin of those who lost their lives in the attack received the medals from President Pranab Mukherjee. The families had decided to take back the medals after Afzal was hanged last month.
The families had returned the gallantry medals they had received in honour of the slain personnel to the Rashtrapati Bhavan on December 13, 2006.
Daughter of slain CRPF constable Kamlesh Kumari, Shweta Singh said, "I was here for my mother and I am grateful to the President that he rejected the mercy plea of Guru. It has honoured my mother`s martyrdom."
Delhi Police constable late Vijender Singh`s wife, Jayawati said, "I wanted nothing else from the government other than sentencing the perpetrators of the attack. It is a huge relief that martyrdom of my husband got its due."
MS Bitta, the chairman of Anti-Terrorist Front, who accompanied the families to Rashtrapati Bhavan, said he was grateful to the President for giving back the medals.
Bitta also urged the President to clear all the pending death sentence cases, especially of the former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi and former Punjab chief minister Beant Singh`s assassins.
"Rajiv Gandhi is a martyr and according to me one should risk the government, if required, to convict his assassins," Bitta said.
In a memorandum given by Bitta to the President, he has requested for release of the cash award, which was earlier announced for the security personnel, who had fought the terrorists at the time of the attack on Parliament. The families of CRPF constable Kamlesh, CPWD Watch and Ward personnel MS Negi and Parliament Security personnel JP Yadav had returned the Ashok Chakra, while the kin of five police personnel returned the Kirti Chakra.
Those who had received the Kirti Chakra were Delhi Police sub inspectors Ghanshyam and Nanak Chand, assistant sub inspector Ram Pal and head constables Om Prakash and Vijender Singh.
Guru, convicted in the attack on Parliament on December 13, 2001, was hanged in Tihar Jail on February 09.
A special court had sentenced Guru to death in December 2002 for his role in aiding and abetting the attack which was upheld by the Supreme Court on August 04, 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'