Parliament canteen food not good, complain MPs
New Delhi: Quality of food served in Parliament canteen Wednesday came under attack in Rajya Sabha as a member drew attention of the government towards MPs falling sick after consuming it.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, K C Tyagi (JD-U) said members were falling sick after consuming food from Parliament canteen and SP members Ram Gopal Yadav and Jaya Bachchan were the latest victims.
Tyagi, in a lighter vein, said it was a well-planned conspiracy to keep the members` mouth shut in Parliament.
Some members from the opposition benches remarked that food was from Gujarat, to which Parliamentary Affairs Minister M Venkiah Naidu said, "Some people keep dreaming of Gujarat, what can I do?"
When Deputy Chairman P J Kurien asked Naidu to look into the issue, he said, "I have taken note of it. I have told the Canteen staff about it."
Bachchan said it was a fact that she had to suffer after she ate food in Parliament when it was sitting late.
The problem of poor quality of food is prevailing since last four-five years, she said, complaining, "They are serving stale food here."
Rajeev Shukla (Congress) supported her saying he was a member of the Food Committee and had suggested bringing the kitchen back to Parliament building.
"Food cooked at 6 am is served till late night which was causing the problem," he said, adding the problem started only after kitchen was shifted from the main building.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!