Parliament clears Land Acquisition Bill, RS nod to Judicial Bill
Zee Media Bureau
Delhi: The path-breaking Land Acquisition Bill was Thursday one step short of becoming a law with Parliament giving its approval to it.
Lok Sabha passed the amended version of the legislation, which seeks to provide fair and just compensation to farmers and to those who lose livelihood on account of acquisition.
The bill, which was earlier passed by Lok Sabha last week, went through some amendments during its passage in the Rajya Sabha yesterday.
The historic legislation will now be sent to the President for his assent.
Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh moved in the Lok Sabha the new amendments to the Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and esettlement Bill, 2012, which were incorporated by Upper House.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath requested the House to pass the Bill without any discussion as the legislation had already been discussed in detail earlier. The House agreed to the request.
Yesterday, in the Rajya Sabha government had moved as official amendment BJP`s suggestions that retrospective and social impact assessment clauses should not be applied for acquisition of land for ongoing irrigation projects.
Government also moved the amendment to specify that either compensation or rehabilitation and resettlement (R&R) will be given to farmers whose land is acquired for irrigation projects.
However, farmers, whose land is acquired for other projects, will get the benefits of both compensation and rehabilitation and resettlement.
Meanwhile, the Rajya Sabha Thursday passed the constitutional amendment bill that seeks to create a judicial appointments commission for making recommendations on appointments in the higher judiciary.
The bill was passed after the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and its allies staged a walkout.
The constitution (128th) Amendment Bill was passed after a division with 132 members voting in its favour.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters